Drug paraphernalia consists of the material instruments used in the process of administering narcotics. If caught being in possession of drug paraphernalia with intent to use, it is classified as a misdemeanor. However, In Canada it is a criminal offence to be in possession of illegal drugs, narcotics, or controlled substances, and if charged with illegal drug paraphernalia or illegal drug possession in Regina, you will need a criminal defense lawyer. It is illegal to possess any tools, devices, or instruments that may be used to take, ingest, inhale, or inject those drugs, narcotics, or other substances. If you are defending drug paraphernalia possession charges or if you feel you were searched illegally, contact the drug offence lawyers at the Law Office of Regina Criminal Lawyers — you can trust us.
Examples of Drug Paraphernalia
Drug paraphernalia can be made out of a number of readily available household items. These tools can be confiscated by law enforcement officials. A list of common items used as drug paraphernalia has been provided:
- Wrapping or Rolling Papers — used to roll drugs into cigarette form
- Scales — used to weigh drugs for sale or distribution
- Bongs — marijuana, hashish
- Bowls — marijuana, hashish
- Pipes — marijuana, hashish
- Spoons — heroin, crack cocaine
- Light Bulbs — crystal methamphetamine
- Syringes — heroin, anabolic steroids, performance enhancing drugs
Illegal Drug Paraphernalia
The authorities are permitted to confiscate any paraphernalia you were carrying. Under the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act in section 11(6), a peace officer who executes a warrant issued under subsection may seize, in addition to the things mentioned in the warrant:
- Any controlled substance
- Any thing that the peace officer believes on reasonable grounds to contain or conceal a controlled substance.
- Any thing that the peace officer believes on reasonable grounds is offence related property; or
- Any thing that the peace officer believes on reasonable grounds will afford evidence in respect of an offence under this Act.
Contact Our Criminal Defense Lawyers
If you have been found with illegal drug paraphernalia, and charged with a misdemeanor be aware that the authorities will have just cause in the future to search your possessions for actual narcotics. Drug possession is a criminal offence and if charged, you will need a drug lawyer on your side. Trust us, call Regina Criminal Lawyers.